12-hour, Live Interactive Webinar Series!
Instructor: Lorraine R. Freedle, PhD, CST-T
Sandplay Teacher (STA/ISST)
Dates: (Four Fridays) May 29, June 5, June 12, and June 19, 2020
Time: Each module will be held from 6 pm to 9 pm Eastern / 3 pm to 6 pm Pacific / noon to 3 pm Hawai`i time
Special Rate: $185, $150 students (must register for whole series, no partial registrations or refunds for missed sessions, although all people who register will receive handouts)
12 CE’s / Continuing Education Hours:
- Approved for up to 12 continuing education hours through NASW-HI (accepted for Social Workers, Counselors and MFT’s, verify with your State Board).
- Up to 12 credit hours (online) for sandplay therapist (STA/ISST).
- Also pending approval by STA (Association of Play Therapy Approved Provider #13-343) for up to 12 APT “non-contact” hours.
Space is limited, so if you are interested, register now online!
Questions or requests for ADA accommodations? Contact email@example.com
This course will take a “deep dive” into the theoretical foundations and practical applications of Jungian sandplay therapy and the therapeutic power of play with children and adults in the context of this world crisis and the changing environment of psychotherapy practice. Through online instruction, experiential activities and illustrative case studies you will have the opportunity to connect on a deep level to this work and to integrate concepts. Together we will explore what it might mean to be a sandplay therapist in 2020 and beyond.
This course is appropriate for post-graduate level mental health counselors and sandplay and play therapists in agency, private practice or school settings who are interested in an embodied learning experience addressing the clinical skills, philosophy, history and theories that are fundamental to the practice of Jungian sandplay therapy,while understanding culturally-sensitive practice and addressing key ethical issues. Whether you are an experienced sandplayer or someone new to sandplay you will gain much from the experience.
Module I: May 29, 2020
- A World in Crisis
- Principles of Kalffian Sandplay
- Symbols and Archetypes
- Personal Symbol Exercise
Module II: June 5, 2020
- Three Roots of Sandplay (body, mind, spirit)
- Therapeutic Power of Play
- Applications of Jungian Personality Theory to Sandplay
- Personality Structures Exercise
Module III: June 12, 2020
- Sandplay “Nuts and Bolts” (how it works, collection, conducting a session)
- The difference between Sandplay and other methods that use sand and miniatures
- Presence /Co-transference
- Evidence Base of Sandplay
- Sandplay- Special Clinical Populations
Module IV: June 19, 2020
- The Sandplay Process
- Understanding Sand Worlds
- Case Study
- Ethics / Professional Standards for the Sandplay Therapist
- STA/ISST Credentialing Process
Course learning objectives:
- Identify the key tenets of sandplay therapy as founded by Dora Kalff.
- Describe how symbols, archetypes, and the transcendent function promote healing in sandplay and play therapy.
- List seven steps to embodied symbol study and four reasons why it is important for the sandplay therapist to study symbols.
- List the “Therapeutic Powers of Play” as identified by Dr. Charles Schaefer and Dr. Athena Drewes.
- Identify fundamental concepts in Jungian personality theory (e.g., shadow, Self, individuation, etc.) and their applications in sandplay and play therapy.
- Apply three principles of Eastern contemplative practices to the practice of sandplay therapy.
- Identify materials and practical considerations to set up a sandplay collection and to conduct a Kallfian sandplay therapy session.
- Describe the dynamics of the “free and protected” therapeutic space, co-transference and therapeutic presence in sandplay and play therapy… including implications for telehealth practice.
- Distinguish sandplay therapy from other play therapy methods.
- Identify stages of psychological development in children and adults, and recognize the process of growth as it unfolds in a series of sandplay images.
- Review ethical guidelines and professional standards of conduct specific to the practice sandplay therapy.
- Participate in experiential learning and “play” activities to explore, practice and apply concepts.